Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day One

I told you I would do it and I'm doing it. Two blogs in two days? Miracles really do happen!

Tonight was my first night working with Mike again and it was great. I was only there a couple weeks ago but today skeletons of walls for the art studios on the second level were up, walls that were once there aren't anymore. It's really crazy how things can turn around so fast. If you asked Mike though it has not been fast enough. As stressed out as he is he never doubts what he's doing when he talks about it, he knows he needs to do so he presses on.

The space is great, dirty, worn-down, but fantastic. The light is the kind of light artists long for. It's the kind of light I wish I always lived in. It's hard to imagine what art will be created in these studios but if I look hard enough I can see the drawing tables and easels set up, the paint and brushes scattered all over, ideas tacked to any flat surface at eye level, that's how I imagine my art studio would like look if I were ever lucky enough to have one. I can't wait to see the art that the people working inside of these walls will create. Knowing Mike and the art that he had shown at his gallery, it will most likely be the kind of thought-provoking but weird but beautiful kind of art.

Tonight he showed me all of the developments that had happened since the last time I was there, he showed me some of the things he wants me to do, and things that I could help him do. Painting, cleaning, database entering, it all seems pretty standard. It will definitely be tedious but I think I'm up for the challenge because it's not only helping out a dear friend (which I would do no matter) but it's also a real way to help me meet new people in the art world and further my learning and knowing of art's past, art now, and where art might be going if we keep pushing it forward.

I never thought I was a girl that was grossed out by dirt or squealed at the possibility of mice sightings but it turns out that I am most definitely that girl. I wore shorts, a t-shirt, and flip flops. Next week I'll wear jeans/shorts (depending on this WI weather), a t-shirt, Chucks, and gloves. The residents before Mike left a lot behind that will have to be trashed, torn down, and tossed out. It's going to be a huge project in and of its self and I'm certainly not opposed to getting my hands dirty, I'm just going to have to wear gloves while doing so.

Looking at where the space is now and knowing that Mike wants to be ready in 4 months seems impossible, but it's Mike, and I truly believe that man can do anything. If he can't though he is the definition of "Making it work". He'll do it. I know he will.

Whatever I do next, I'm excited. Even cleaning out a small corner of a massive space in one night tonight was great to see. To know the before and to see the after is a pretty great feeling.

Stay tuned to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment